Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Living For Jesus

Tonight Troy finished his rocket at Cadets. The boys were building rockets to launch at the annual fall camp-out held in the desert east of us. Scott and other fathers will be braving the cold temps with their sons to make memories and build character this weekend. :) Troy is very excited! He reminds me often how I would not let him go on this camp-out last year as a first grader. (Scott was not able to go along and I was NOT going to send my 6 year old son into the freezing desert to launch homemade rockets!) I'm sure there will be many stories upon their return Saturday afternoon.
On a side note, I had a sweet time with Troy tonight driving him to church. Those familiar with the Cadet program know that there are different "pledges" and things that the boys memorize and recite together at their meetings. The theme song is the hymn, "Living For Jesus." Troy was practicing his different parts from a paper he had been given and then we sang through the whole song on the way to church. Pretty cool! (And a new experience after having two girls in GEMS.)

2 comments:

Lynn said...

He looks so big...but still sweet as ever! Ben liked looking at the Halloween pictures b/c we just got that Star Wars costume at Target for NEXT year.

John R said...

Hey, Troy, did you get your Rocketry badge already? Your rocket looks great and I hope if flies high. Have a great time today and tomorrow. Tell your Dad he can't sleep in the van no matter how cold. I hope you have a warm sleeping bag. Maybe you will do some archery too.

Last year, when I was a counselor of fifth grade Cadets, one kid in my cadre had never seen a cow before we went to a farm in the summer. Another boy, J J Ybarra, won a chess tournament at Calvin and he got a badge for that. I know "Living for Jesus" and Pledge of Allegiance, but the Cadet pledge? -- O man! I'll have to listen to you say it sometime. Love you. 'Boppa